We are not using the Risking Willpower rules from the Hunter the Vigil rule book.
We will not be using the Aspirations rules for The Contingent. A minimum number of Beats will be distributed to each player character at the end of each session.
We will use the optional rule: Beaten Down & Surrender from page 87 of the core rules.
Compacts and Conspiracies
All characters are members of the Contingent Conspiracy and do not need to purchase ranks in Status to reflect this. There are 3 Compacts within the Contingent:
All characters are members of the Contingent Conspiracy and do not need to purchase ranks in Status to reflect this. A character’s standing in a particular Compact is handled using the Status (Compact name) Merit. Players will receive Compact Beats which they can use to buy additional ranks in the ASI, Empire Foundation, and Union compacts.
In addition to the social bonuses specified in the Status merit, each Compact gives specific benefits at certain ranks. Check the individual Compacts pages on Obsidian Portal for more information. Also note that a loss in standing with a Compact may mean forfeiting these bonuses as well.
Characters may have standing in multiple Compacts at once. However, conflicting Compact goals might make this difficult.
It’s a frightening and brutal world out there, but the reason the Contingent exists is to confront the horrors and mysteries of the world. Doing so can earn hunters additional beats based on the goals of the three Compacts within the Contingent.
During each session, accomplishing any of the goals on the Compact pages will gain you 1 beat each. Players are responsible for tracking these accomplishments and reminding the ST when they accomplish a goal.
Compact Beats may only be spent to buy the following items: Endowments, Status: (ASI, Empire, and Union), and Integrity. However, for example, you may use beats gained for meeting Union goals to buy Status: Empire.
Season Character Limits
At any given time, a player may only have one active character within the Contingent. If that character dies, or the player chooses to retire them, they may introduce one additional character. There is a limit of two characters per player per season.
General House Rules
- Obsidian Portal is Optional.
- To allow the STs to have access to PC information and to facilitate ST/player communication outside the game, game information will be stored in Obsidian Portal. To help the STs, we invite everyone to sign-up register their own characters. This is optional and not required.
- Adventure Logs Gain Re-Rolls.
- If a player enjoys writing reports or journals of games, they will earn a Re-Roll to be used any time during the current season. A player can any number of rerolls banked at a time, and use no more than 1 per game session. The Keeper is the last word whether a re-rolls is appropriate to the situation.
- Players are responsible for their character sheets.
- Players will be given their character sheets on character creation. They will be responsible for keeping up with it and adjusting skills and characteristics as needed. If a character sheet is lost and the player cannot find the stats, then that character is considered dead for all intents and purposes, and counts against the 2 character limit. We encourage the use of Obsidian Portal to store copies of your character sheet to safeguard against this.
- Unsportsmanlike behavior will not be tolerated.
- STs have the right to eject any player for their table who is engaging in disruptive behavior, inappropriately aggressive behavior to other players or other player’s characters, cheating and other behavior counter to the table’s enjoyment of the game.